Pampering Your Pup: DIY Spa Day for Your Pet
written by Freshpet
Just like us, pets can benefit from a little pampering. Not only does it make them feel great, but it's also a fantastic way to strengthen the bond you share. The good news is that treating your pet to a day at the spa doesn’t need to break the bank – you can organize a relaxing DIY spa day right in your own house!
Step 1: Create a relaxing atmosphere
Start the spa day for your pet by creating a relaxing environment, taking into consideration sound and lighting.
● Choose a calm space: Pick a quiet room in your house where your pet can relax without distractions. If there’s a spot in your house where your pet enjoys sleeping, this can be a great place for most of your spa day to take place.
● Soft lighting: Dim the lights or use soft, natural lighting to create a tranquil ambiance.
● Soothing music: Did you know there is music designed specifically for animals? Find a playlist on YouTube or a streaming platform and have this playing during the spa session.
While scent is a common element of our spa experience, keep in mind that essential oils are not pet-safe. While they may smell nice, they can be toxic if ingested or come in contact with your pet’s skin.
Step 2: Grooming and bath time
Once you’ve set the right ambiance, the fun can start! Regular grooming helps to distribute the natural oils produced by your pet’s skin, which keeps their coat healthy, shiny, and less prone to dryness, matting, or dandruff. Grooming isn’t just about their coat – giving attention to their nails and ears is equally as important.
● Brushing: Start by gently brushing your pet's fur to remove tangles and loose hair – this also helps improve circulation. If your pet needs to be distracted while brushing them, try getting a lick mat and covering it in their favorite Freshpet roll to keep them busy while you groom.
● Bath time: Use a pet-friendly shampoo and warm water to give your pet a gentle bath. Using a bath-safe brush, like this one by Bodhi Dog, will quickly scrub away dead skin and loose fur and give your pet a little massage at the same time. When you’re done, be sure to rinse thoroughly to avoid skin irritation.
● Nail trim: Once your pet is out of the bath, take a moment to trim their nails. There are three main types of nail trimmers – scissor clippers, guillotine clippers, and grinder trimmers – so do some research beforehand to see which type best suits your pet.
● Ear cleaning: If your pet has floppy ears, routine cleaning is a must. Gently clean the inside of your pet's ears with a pet-safe ear cleaner and cotton ball or pad, but make sure not to go too deep into the ear canal.
After you’ve finished the grooming portion of the spa day for your pet, wrap them up in a fluffy towel and let them air dry. Due to the noise, hair dryers can be scary for your pet, so avoid using one if possible.
Step 3: Time to unwind
Once your pet is clean and fresh, it's time to help them unwind while they air dry.
● Full-body massage: Give your pet a gentle massage, using slow and soothing strokes. The Bodhi Dog brush can be used once again here, as the soft rubber tips gently massage without pulling your pet’s hair. During the message, focus on areas where they enjoy being touched, such as their neck, back, or belly.
● Paw treatment: Soak your pet's paws in warm, diluted chamomile tea to soothe and relax them. Chamomile is known for its calming effects and when used in moderation, can help add moisture to dry or cracked paw pads.
Organizing a DIY spa day for your pet is a wonderful way to show your love and appreciation and help them feel their best. Spending quality time together is also the best way to create memories that will last a lifetime, so gather your spa supplies and get ready for a day of relaxation and rejuvenation!
4 Pet-Friendly Brands for Spring Cleaning
Fortunately, there are a number of brands out there making pet-safe cleaning products – here are four of our favorites.
Fun With Pets
Pet Puzzles: Keeping Your Cat or Dog Mentally Stimulated
If you want to keep your pet mentally stimulated, engage their problem-solving skills, and prevent boredom, look no further than pet puzzles.