5 Ways To Celebrate National Dog Mom's Day
written by Ellie Walker
National Dog Mom's Day is just around the corner and there's no better time to celebrate the special bond between you and your furry friend. To make this special day memorable, we’ve put together a list of different ways you can celebrate with your dog or other dog moms in your life.
Get other dog moms together for a playdate
If you know any other dog moms, why not use National Dog Mom’s Day as an excuse to get together with your four-legged friends? To celebrate, you could plan a trip to the dog park, the dog beach, or even visit a dog-friendly cafe. Not only is this a great way to catch up with friends, but your dogs will also benefit from the opportunity to socialize with each other. Some of the benefits of letting your dog socialize with other pups include:
- Learning good manners: Your dog will quickly learn what behavior is – and is not – appreciated by other dogs.
- Increased confidence and comfort: The more new dogs they come into contact with, the less fearful they will be when meeting new ones on the street, at the dog park, or anywhere else.
If this playdate goes well, you may even want to consider planning a longer trip together for the next National Dog Mom’s Day! May we suggest one of these top dog-friendly cities?
Capture some special memories
Another way you can mark National Dog Mom's Day is by capturing some special memories with your pup. Of course, you can always do this yourself using your camera or phone, if you want to take this to the next level, consider hiring a professional. Many photographers specialize in animal photography and have plenty of experience capturing the special moments between pet parents and their pets.
Not only is having a photo shoot with your pup a fun way to spend the day, there are so many different things you can do with the photos when you get them back from the photographer:
- Frame the photos for your wall
- Make a photo book
- Print them on a mug or T-shirt
- Have your favorite photo turned into a woven blanket
Commission a piece of art
Photos aren’t the only way that you can commemorate the bond you and your pup share – there are countless artists that create beautiful pieces for pet parents. The choice of medium is endless, but some popular options include:
- Paintings: Paintings of your pet can be done in a wide range of styles, from hyper-realistic to abstract and everything in between.
- Sculptures: You can have a 3D sculpture of your pet created from materials such as ceramic, clay, or even brass.
- Digital art: With digital art, you can capture your pet's unique personality and characteristics in a way that is creative and visually stunning.
- Engraved jewelry: Companies like Woofpalace offer a range of jewelry that can be engraved with a custom portrait based on a photo you upload.
Etsy is a great place to search for artists who create custom pieces for pet parents.
Go for a picnic
Going for a picnic with your furry friend can be another great way to celebrate National Dog Mom's Day. There are plenty of options to consider when choosing the perfect spot for your picnic, from dog-friendly parks to beaches or your own backyard. Once you’ve decided on a spot, consider bringing along your comfiest blanket for lounging and some toys for your dog to make the picnic even more fun.
If you want to go the extra mile, you could even create a tasty barkuterie board with a variety of dog-friendly foods, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. If you’re looking for inspiration on what to put on your board, take a look at this post by Freshpet vet, Dr. Aziza.
Plan a special meal together
If the weather isn’t cooperating or you’d just prefer to eat at home, you can always make a tasty meal using Freshpet and other dog-safe ingredients. The best part? It only takes three simple steps:
- Step 1: Start by choosing a protein-rich Freshpet recipe – bonus points if you try out a new one your pup hasn’t had before.
- Step 2: Add some dog-safe fruits and vegetables such as green beans, sweet potatoes, and blueberries to the meal. If needed, you could add omega-3 and omega-6 supplements to help your pup maintain a healthy coat and skin.
- Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
For a full list of human foods that your dog can and cannot eat, take a look at this post.
National Dog Mom's Day is a perfect opportunity to celebrate the bond between you and your furry friend. Have something planned we didn’t mention on this list? Share it in the comments for other Freshpet parents to see!